Interested applicants should have a demonstrated interest in human rights, democracy, and social justice in Latin America; initiative and flexibility; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment; good organizational skills; follow-through; and attention to detail. Motivated, self-starting interns excel at WOLA. A minimum of intermediate-advanced Spanish proficiency is required. Technical skills are highly desired.
Interns are required to work 24-40 hours per week during the spring. WOLA is willing to work with students to arrange for university credit.
If you are selected for an internship, you will receive a $1,000 stipend from WOLA towards the end of your internship. A travel allowance is also provided. Internship stipends are not considered salary; they are awarded to help defray living expenses for an intern during their internship. Interns receive a financial summary at the end of each calendar year and are responsible for meeting their own state and federal tax obligations.
Latin American and students from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply. In general, the internship program is not open to students who have passed beyond their undergraduate studies due to its significant administrative component. WOLA does not sponsor visas for students outside of the United States.
In order to be considered for an internship, WOLA needs the following materials:
- Cover letter in which you state:
- Your specific dates of availability.
- Your willingness to work at least 24 hours per week.
- Your internship preference (communications, fundraising, or foreign policy, read more about each internship type here).
- Why you want to intern at WOLA, an idea of your specific interests regarding Latin America, and your Spanish language abilities.
- The names of two references with email addresses and daytime phone numbers. Contact information is preferred over written letters of recommendation.
- Writing sample (no more than 2 pages) in English on a topic of your choice.
All WOLA internships take place in Washington, DC.
Please submit all application materials via email to Crystal Yuille at email@example.com.